Back pain is pain felt in the lower, middle or upper back. It is very common and most people have suffered from back pain at some point of their lives.
In fact, even children and teens can develop back pain, although it is more common as we get older: starting around the age of 30.
Causes of pain include injuries caused by sports or other physical activities, poor habits such as bad posture, muscle strains and various conditions of the spinal cord, the ligaments around it and the discs between the vertebrae.
Certain factors may contribute to a greater risk of developing back pain, such as lack of exercise, excess body weight, smoking and various psychological conditions such as depression.
Very often even severe back pain goes away on its own in four to six weeks. If you’re very uncomfortable, you can rest in bed for a day or two, but longer than that does more harm than good. Over-the-counter pain medications often help reduce back pain, as does the application of cold or heat to the painful area.
Treatment of back pain which lasts longer than 6 weeks will depend on its cause and may include stronger painkillers and physiotherapy.
Symptoms of back pain:
- Continuous pain in the middle or lower back which grows worse after prolonged periods of standing and sitting
- Stiffness and persistent pain anywhere along the spine
- Sharp, stabbing or shooting pain
- Pain that radiates down the leg
- Limited range of motion and flexibility of the back
- Muscle ache
- Numbness or tingling
How we can help:
Call us if your back-pain hasn’t improved after a week of home treatment or if your back pain:
- Is constant or intense, especially at night or when you lie down
- Radiates and spreads down one or both legs, especially if the pain extends below your knee
- Causes weakness, numbness or tingling in one or both legs
- Increases when you bend forward or while coughing
- Occurs with unintended weight loss
- Occurs with swelling or redness on your back
- Occurs with a fever
Yermiyahu Clinic is at your service at any time for initial emergency care. Dr. Sunny Sapir, an experienced physician with an expertise in family medicine, will be glad to assist you with professionalism and utmost empathy. After a careful examination of your personal situation, Dr. Sunny will provide you with the most appropriate medical solution.